Saturday, June 20, 2015

Poldark



Last fall, when I was in Cornwall, I bought many books set in this enchanting part of the world. Go here to read more. My goal was to keep the magic going once I returned home. I read A Cornish Affair by Liz Fenwick, Summer in February by Jonathan Smith, and Ross Poldark by Winston Graham. I enjoyed them all, though Ross Poldark was my favorite. When I was in Edinburgh a couple of weeks ago, I went to Waterstone's, a fabulous book store on Princes Street, and bought book two in the Poldark series: Demelza: A Novel of Cornwall. I've been devouring it ever since; it is my new guilty pleasure. 

And on Sunday night a televised drama of Poldark will begin. It has already aired in Britain and received excellent reviews. Do you remember the original televised drama of Poldark starring Robin Ellis from many years ago? Well, if this is half as good, it will be a hit. If you are into costume dramas, brooding heroes, swashbuckling adventures and romance, all taking place in the 18th-century, then this one is for you. It doesn't hurt that it is set in Cornwall, one of the most beautiful places in the world.

Here is a brief synopsis of the story. Ross Poldark has just returned to Cornwall after fighting in the war against the American colonies. Everyone has assumed he was dead. He finds his estate in ruins as well as his fiance engaged to another man. The mining industry in Cornwall is in crisis because of the monopoly of the big companies. As he sets about recovering what is his, he becomes a champion for the struggling miners. He takes in the half-starved urchin girl Demelza as a kitchen maid, an act which will change his life. He rebuilds his estate with the help of his incompetent servants Jud and Prudie. They are the married couple who worked for his father and let the house fall into ruins. He trains them in the proper methods of running a house and together they get the estate up and running. The story of Ross rebuilding his life, finding new love, and becoming a champion for the struggling miners and the tenants on his land is one of those sweeping sagas that we don't see very often. It's the kind of escapist television that is so much fun.      

Now that the first season of "Outlander" is over, I have a feeling this may become my new weekly obsession.

Will you be watching?

6 comments:

  1. Oh you are in for a treat! I remember watching the original Poldark series as a young girl years ago and loving it, but the new one is excellent! I can't wait for Series 2! Miranda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad I read your post this morning. Was just lamenting that I seemed to have watched all the British series that've been on. I will absolutely be watching this and thank you for the great recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wrote a post earlier this month about totally missing Poldark back in the 70s... both the books and miniseries. I do plan to watch this time around, and you've just about convinced me to give the novels a try, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cannot wait. I never read the books, nor did I see the previous production, so I'm thrilled to bits to develop a new obsession! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've watched Poldark and it is a great series. Really enjoyed it. It's very different from Outlander but it's just as engaging. Costume dramas have always been my favourite genre of TV shows.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I watched tonight. Gorgeous! My new favorite.

    ReplyDelete