Friday, July 10, 2015

Celebrating a Ballerina


Julie Kent taking a bow after dancing her farewell performance for the American Ballet Theater
Photo via here


"You're the only girl I've seen in a long time that actually looked like something blooming."
-- F. Scott Fitzgerald


I was so touched when I read about Julie Kent's farewell performance for the American Ballet Theater. After dancing for 29 years, she retired and there wasn't a dry eye in the house. At the end of her performance in Romeo and Juliet, the standing ovation went on for 23 minutes. The New York Times reported that there were enough floral bouquets on the stage of the Metropolitan Opera House to fill a small flower shop. Go here to read more. I had tears in my eyes just reading about it. How inspiring to know that so many people love ballet and appreciate this legendary ballerina. I saw her dance years ago and will never forget her performance. I can only imagine how magical this experience must have been for those lucky enough to be in the audience. It's important to celebrate our great artists and it sounds as if this was one unforgettable celebration. For those of us who love ballet but couldn't be there, it was a treat to see the photos and read about this fabulous night. I could almost close my eyes and imagine the excitement in the air. Thank you, Julie Kent, for bringing so much beauty and artistry to the world of ballet!

******** 

Next up on the blog, a magical week in Scotland!
Wishing you a lovely weekend


4 comments:

  1. That photo captures the emotion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how wonderful to have seen Julie Kent Dance! And that last dance must have been incredibly to see - Romeo & Juliet is such a beautiful ballet too. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful article. Miranda xxx http://mirandasnotebook.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just seeing that photo of the stage gives me goosebumps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful dancer and a treasure. My daughter and I were chatting about her final performance this past weekend. Romeo and Juliet....a beautiful ballet for a final performance.

    ReplyDelete